Thursday, July 4, 2013

NO (sham)POO movement/challenge


Facebook is not just for curing boredom, it's for useful information, if you know how to use it. I'm subscribed to a few personal development blogs, news pages and so on.

Today I saw an interesting share from one of the personal development guys, about a no shampoo movement . The idea is that you give up shampoo for 6 weeks and only clean your hair with water, no shampoo, no soap, no nothing. Our scalp produces sebum (the substance that makes our hair dirty/sticky) and shampoo cleans the sebum off, causing our scalp to only produce more and more sebum.

Sadly, I am at the stage that I have to wash my hair every day because it gets oily very fast. I think the fact that I used to dye my hair made it like this; think and prone to extra sebum production. After trying lots of shampoos , this would be the best thing for my hair I think, so I'm gonna do it.

I'm a bit scared, to tell you the truth, but  worst case scenario, I get to wear hats.


For more about the NO POO [ thats the name of the movement :D ] go here

No poo wikipedia
No shampoo experiment

  • Day1 [5july 2013] :
  •  It's been 24 hours since my last shampoo wash, on top of my forehead I can see                                the hair greasing up already.I took a shower and rinsed my hair with water , nothing more. 
  • Day2 [6july 2013]:
  • My hair is a bit greasy. Probably because I only rinsed it with water. I'm gonna use baking soda to wash my hair today.Let's see how that works. 
  • Day3[7july 2013]:
  • Baking soda method is good, it gives my hair volume.I'm gonna use this for the experiment. Maybe play with it a little.
  • Day4[8july 2013]:
  • I decided to walk home from work and it was very warm outside. My hair is covered with sweat; must wash it again. Baking soda again. But its good. I think less hairs are falling off.
  •  Day5-Day10[13july 2013]: 
  • My hair is a bit less greasy and it has more volume and it looks healthier. I read about sulf soap for hair and skin that is greasy. I will give it a try on Monday. Until now, only baking soda and water. One thing that I don't like is that my hair is a bit um ... hard and straw like ? ... as in ... not smooth and silky, but from what I read that is gonna take more time to accomplish. I'm not giving up, I've made it so far.
  •  Day11-Day13[16 July 2013]:
  • Just can't get my hair to be smooth, so I decided to wash with an organic soap from Lush, called Green Monster. It has mint and lemon and such. Meanwhile I'm looking for sulf soap, but I could not find it yet. Got to hit some more shops and maybe I will come across it.  
  • Day14-Day17[20 july]    
  • Definitely better with no shampoo; still didn't find sulf soap, but I'm only washing my hair with the Lush soap.I took a pic on the first day and I'm gonna take a pic tomorrow morning before I wash my hair again.
  • Day 22 [25 July] I finally found Sulf soap and I'm using it to wash my hair and my skin. It's really amazing.



Ok.Final notes on this experiment :

 I can't go with just baking soda and water, I need something more, and I'm so happy I found sulf soap. It definately cleans the scalp and the skin also.  My hair is still a bit dry and straw like.I don't know how much longer I will go without shampoo, but I will definately make a transition to healthier products, organic shampoo , sulf soap and such. I will write more as time goes by and I try different stuff.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice